Tuesday 31 May 2011

Penguin Book Cover Competition 2011 (final book cover design)

After the making and photographing of the work I decided to go with these two photographs and use them for my front and back cover. The image on the front cover captures the moment where the yellow flowers are falling all over the town. I chose to only feature one single house as the story takes place in the same house, generation after generation. I wanted it to stand alone, as if in solitude.

There are things written in the book that make us question whether Márquez ever meant Macondo to be interpreted by the reader as a real place, hence the house being gone on the back cover but the yellow flowers still lying on the ground. I wanted to illustrate the uncertainty of the village being real. I ended up with this as my final design:







No comments:

Post a Comment